Sunday, April 15, 2012

My Inspiration

On a Saturday in October I attended the Wildlife Conservation Network (WCN) Expo in San Francisco. As a volunteer and Roots & Shoots group member with the Oakland Zoo I was able to go for free along with several other volunteers in the same program. At this inspiring annual conference, many incredible speakers have the opportunity to give presentations on their wonderful conservation projects taking place all over the world. The first year I attended the expo I was deeply moved by the hard work and dedication put into so many projects in so many continents. I remember listening to the presentation of the Niassa Lion Project at the 2010 conference, and being incredibly touched by the speaker’s passion for her work. She spoke about her actions and the animals she was helping with such affection. I remember that day I felt certain that I wanted to work with animals throughout my life, but also work to preserve endangered species and spread awareness of the importance of saving these animals. That day I did not make a decision, but I had a realization. I realized what my passion was and I realized what was important to me. I realized that I must do something to preserve these beautiful creatures and the environments in which they live.

This year at WCN, the well known and wonderful Jane Goodall was the keynote speaker. It was amazing how she captured the entire room in her speech. She intrigued and inspired every member of the audience with her wise words. It was an incredible experience and I’m so thankful to have had the opportunity to see her speak.

Later in the day I stood in line with my fellow zoo volunteers for Jane’s book signing. When we got up to the front she signed all of our books, returned them to us, and took a picture with us, and only then did she turn to address us. She said “Thank you for all you are doing, and keep it up. And get the old people involved!”

I certainly do plan to continue and expand what I do with and beyond the zoo. Hopefully I will be able to get “the old people” involved, but I also hope to get younger people involved too, and spread the passion I have for animals to generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment